2019 Bonneville Speed Week: A bust for some, a winner for others

L A    B A N D I D A    R A C I N G
It was a tough year with really rough and wet salt conditions.  Unfortunately if you had a powerful machine and depended on traction, you were pretty much out of luck.  Lots of folks didn't even run, some streamliners went home straight away, and some folks waited in line for 2 days in the hot sun, hoping the salt would dry, made one run and went home due to the horrible and not so safe conditions.

The super rough start line the day before the start
Fortunately my club consists of mostly small motorcycles and we fared very well bringing home 5 land speed records to the British Motorcycle Association of Colorado (BMAC).  Congrats to all who came and raced, or tried to race, it was definitely a challenge.

John Stoner's record making beauty

Some of the BMAC guys: Tim, Frank, Dana, Al (badasses)

Jerry Pokorny's wild ride

My moto, the Sherminator, has 7 land speed records now at Bonneville Speed Week.  It takes a village!  The BMAC will update their website with the correct records, and add the 5 from this year.  If I have it right, the records are:
2013:  Jerry Pokorny
2113:  Ray Puckett
2017:  Maria Gerber
2017:  John Thurston
2018:  Maria Gerber
2018:  Kristin Stewart
2019:  Kristin Stewart

I broke Maria Gerber's (BMAC) 2018 MPS-BF record of 52 mph with my 55.6 mph run this year.  Jonathon from Arkansas Speed Society (A.S.S.) blew away my 2018 MPS-BG record on his 2014 Honda Grom.  Congratulations A.S.S.es!  These guys are so cool and funny.

MPS-BG means modified - partially streamlined - blown - gas and MPS-BF is fuel, which means you can run nitro or Mt Dew or any other damn fiery fluid you want!

My record backup run on Wednesday - all alone!

My record backup run on Wednesday before I hunkered down into my tucked position
Post record run smiles

The fabulous SCTA inspectors giving me my record

Nigel!
Really excellent professional photos can be seen and downloaded for free here (password is bonneville) courtesy of my new Kiwi friend, Nigel Thomspon.  Thanks, amigo!

Please join my Facebook group, "Bonneville Land Speed Racing Women."  It is for women racers, crew, race officials and volunteers, family, friends, fans, all are welcome, we even have some dudes on there!  We had our inaugural meet up on the salt on Monday afternoon with about 25 women in attendance.  My aim is to use the FB group to enable women to connect while land speed racing, not just at Bonneville, but anywhere.  The more we connect, the stronger we will be!

My crew stealing the show

The 2019 Inaugural Bonneville Land Speed Racing Women meet up.  Find us on Facebook!

I also had the opportunity to take 3 test runs on a 100cc 2-stroke and I unofficially hit 82 mph on crappy salt but man was that fun!  More to come on that one!

Test riding a rocket 100cc 2-stroke



My crazy crew.....

I could not have done any of this without John Stoner and the BMAC team building the little bike that keeps on going, Frank Puckett's years of magic, and the help of my BMAC team, Maria Gerber's support and selling me the Sherminator earlier this year, my crew Mel Downs, Trevor Downs, Ken Sherman, Zalman Sher, Ben Sher, Doug Lantz, Buford W. Ross, tiny moto parts and words of wisdom from John Stoner and the Boulder Street Moto studs, special thanks to George and Marsha Naschtheim, my family, friends, my fans Mary and Clint White from Toledo, OH and some plain old good luck!

See you all on the salt!

Bossman Frank on his record run

Great new friends Mary and Clint from Toledo, Ohio who showed up every time to cheer me on!

The crew on top of Needle Peak overlooking Wendover, NV

My home, camp, pit and garage for 10 days!




Tequila y sal

Salty hair don't care

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2007: One Less Grasshopper in Oaxaca

2012 La Carrera Panamericana: Day 3 WTF 5-Car Crash

2013: La Carrera Panamericana BEST FINISH EVER for TBZ Racing